- See More About:
- Victoria House Needlecraft Site
Crochet for Beginners
Charles CoxMany people feel that knitted and crochet items survived in the early period of imperialism since communities relied on this kind of industry as their main source of living. During those times, the crocheted and knitted products were mostly purchased by the middle class society.
Also, crochet items were often used as a way to identify the status of a person from early history as well. As the royalties often bought expensive lace products, this actually made the value of crochet products depreciate.
It is believed that knitting and crocheting was developed through the old practices of people from countries like China, Middle Eastern countries, and South America. Many people believe that crochet may have been practiced by early cultures to flex the muscles of the forefinger rather than a fashion hook. This theory has been accepted by many craft historians because of the lack of artifact crochet products as proof of its traditional practices.
In the early 1800’s, several European communities used crochet products in place of the much expensive lace made materials. Not only does crocheting only require fewer materials, and it is also widely accepted by different social classes. From these periods, crochet was done mostly on thread. The most common widely made products from crochet were filet crochet made in rows either open or close mesh to make a particular pattern.
Many people today do crocheting and knitting strictly for pleasure. It has recently evolved as the interest of many people has on handicraft has risen overall making it very popular with the high quality of yarns and threads used. The pleasure of making a crochet item is working it with different yarn textures and colors.
As a beginner, you should learn the process of making a pattern row and a single stitch crocheting. Here are some basic steps that will help you learn how to make a crochet product.
1. First, you may need the use of crochet supplies like a size G crochet hook, small scissors, worsted-weight yarn with any colors, and a big-eyed yarn needle.
2. You start by holding the crochet hook in your right hand if you are right-handed. Then you create a slipped knot on the hook.
3. You slide the hooked yarn to the slipknot of the hook. This process will create a continuous stitch or a chained like stitches. You will then proceed to bringing back the yarn on top of the hook making the thread go into the hook and grabbing the slip knot into the hook.
4. You can pass on the first chain stitch allowing the knot to be properly hooked on the knot of the thread. This will allow the thread to be properly in place so that it will not loosen. A much tighter knot would be better to create a chain stitch.
5. You insert the hook to the hole of on the next chain stitch, and then slide the yarn passing through the center of the second chain stitch going to the upper part of the hook. You may have now created two loops on the hook of the threads.
6. You may bring the yarn back on the hook from back to front and slide the knot in the center of the loops that he had created on the hook.
7. From the second loop, create another one chain stitch to make a counter clock wise loop. This allows the hook to remain in the chain stitches. You may start again in creating the following rows, creating the same loops on the previous rows.
8. You create a single crochet stitch in the first loop tightened going to the following loops of the previous rows. You must be exactly sure to create the hook on the last stitch to retain the stitches on their places.
To finish the work, you may cut the excess yarn on the skin. You must not forget to retain at least 6 inches of the thread on the last chain stitch. This will allow you to slide the hook up to the upper part of the loops and bringing the thread into the last loops of the hook. As a beginner, you may find it difficult to do especially on more detailed crochet products. You may start doing these basic steps to get used with the techniques.eArticlesOnline.com